Seattle’s Sub Pop Records — whose stable of artists includes Nirvana, Mudhoney, Fleet Foxes, Blitzen Trapper, Sera Cahoone and many others — is offering three scholarships: one for $6,000, another for $4,000 and yet another for $3,000 to eligible high school seniors.
You must be a resident of Washington or Oregon to apply, as well as a graduating senior planning full-time enrollment at an accredited university or college.
“We are looking for an applicant who is involved and/or interested in music and/or the creative arts in some way,” the label said in a statement.
Entrants must submit an essay — no longer than a page in length — on one or more of the following topics:
1) What are you doing in the arts/music field in your community?
2) How and/or why did you become interested in artistic outlets?
3) How would this scholarship money help you to progress in your chosen field?
4) What are your influences and/or who inspires you?
5) Who are some of your favorite bands or artists?
Applicants are encouraged to send digital links and provide hard copies of their artwork with their essays.
Sub Pop will not return any of the submissions, so don’t send originals.
Sub Pop will provide equal opportunity to all applicants who fit the criteria above.
The deadline for submissions is May 15, 2010.